Sunday, January 30, 2011

Visitors

Jan 25...It was a day for visitors.  The morning started out with a visit from an unknown cat.  He/she just wandered on into the house and began to investigate.  It was a beautiful animal, and very skittish but I had a short space of time to snap a couple of shots.

Images taken with my Sigma 24-70 DG EX
 
F2.8, 1/500s, 70mm, ISO 100.

 


My friend Mystic and I were expecting friends in the afternoon and when they arrived we headed down to Mt Huxley and the Bird River.  These beautiful places are south of Queenstown, the Bird River is inside the World Heritage Area.  

At one part of the river a branch of a tree crosses from one side to the other.  I snapped a few shots of it from different angles to see which one would be better.
 
F8, 1/6s, 32mm, ISO 100.
 


F8, 1/6s, 24mm, ISO 100.




F8, 1/6s, 24mm, ISO 100.




I think my favourite would be the third one.  I like the rocky foreground and how it directs the eye further into the image.  I also like the way the branches bend over the top, in all three, making a triangle shape.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on that Shane, I really like the third one. Its the foreground for me, it puts the scene in its setting and the eye checks out all aspects of the shot, whereas the other two the eye is lead directly (and stays) at the log - which by the way in the first shot looks like some giant anaconda...lol Like the cat shot, the lack of DOF really sets the cat apart from its surroundings and focuses the eye directly on the cat itself and what a lovely pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suellen and well put. I see what you're saying about the other 2 shots.
    The cat was beautiful...I just had to get a shot. It had just finished having a clean and I called it. I think I was lucky to get the shot in that pose :-)

    ReplyDelete